:: BRIEF HISTORY ::
Emissora – de -
Broadcasting development in Goa had been set up by the Portuguese colonial rulers and has an interesting history. José Ferreira Martins, a radio amateur, donated a small transmitter to a group of enthusiasts. Encouraged by this offer, these young men improvised a microphone using a coconut shell for its outer covering, and started broadcasting under the technical guidance of Victor Carvalho, an engineer at the Panjim Telegraph Station. The first experimental broadcast took place on May 28, 1946 and on the same day the Governor General, Dr. Jose’ Ferrerira Besa released a special stamp to commemorate the occasion. A government decree that the radio station, called Emissora – de- G0A was to function officially on an experimental basis on 5 KW, SW was issued on July 25, 1946, but the radio station was not given a formal official status till 1959 when its potential as an effective medium of communication and a source of revenue from commercial advertising was realized. At that stage in 1959, one transmitter of 10 KW, SW was acquired for overses service, and also two 20 KW MW transmitters for the home service including the coverage of Daman and Diu. However, these high power transmitters were used for the official section only and not for the commercial section. In 1960, a 50 KW, SW transmitter was acquired and operated on 19 meters for overseas service of Emissora – de-
The commercial service was run by Paul Fontes, a journalist and Gabriel Martins, a businessman through yearly concessions granted to them by government. Till 1959 the programme time was shared by two sections –the official section utilized the transmitter from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., and from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.; the commercial section used it from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m., and again from 9 to 10 p.m.
Following the liberation movement in Goa, Emissora – de - Goa, the radio station at Panjim stopped broadcasting on December 18, 1961 at eight in the morning. Subsequently, Goa was liberated on 19th December, 1961.